Forms starting with: T
(published March 2013)
Links open in a new window
About this form
Complete this form to claim tax credits for donations, childcare and/or housekeeper for payments made between
1 April 1999 and 31 March 2011. Use one form for each claim year and enter the year you are claiming your tax credit for.
If you are making a claim for the 2012 or 2013 years please use the Tax credit claim form 2012 (IR526) or the Tax credit claim form 2013 (IR526) - see "Note" below.
Adobe Acrobat PDF | 67kb | 2 pages
This form can be completed on-screen by typing content directly into the PDF document. Once you have completed the form it is important that you print it out as you will not be able to save the information you enter into the form.
When to use this form
This form is only available on our website.
Tax credits can be claimed by individuals (not companies, trusts or partnerships) who earned taxable income in the period they are claiming for, and were a New Zealand resident for tax purposes at any time during the tax year.
You can claim a tax credit for each receipted donation of $5 or more to:
- an approved donee organisation
- an approved New Zealand religious organisation
- approved overseas aid funds
- kindergartens (excludes private kindergartens or other early childcare fees which can be claimed under the childcare tax credit)
- state schools, state integrated schools, other schools who have been approved as a donee organisation, school boards of trustees or parent teacher associations.
The IR526 cannot be used for donations made through payroll giving. You received the tax credits for these at the time of your donation.
If you would like to make a claim for the 2012 or 2013 years please select the correct form:
What you will need
You will need receipts for all donations and childcare and/or housekeeper payments that you would like to claim.
You will also need to provide the details of the bank account number that you would like this tax credit paid into. If you want this amount transferred to another person's income tax account, you will need to provide the IRD number of this person and the period that you want this credit paid to.
After you finish
Send the claim form back to us. Remember to attach your receipts (to the blank section on page 2).
If you are required to file an IR3 income tax return for the year in which you made the donations, we will need to check your taxable income in your tax return when we process your claim.
If we don't have your tax return we will ask you for it.
You may avoid delays by sending your tax credit claim and your IR3 tax return at the same time.
- You will receive a notice of your tax credit amount within six weeks if we don't need to wait for your IR3 income tax return to be filed. Your refund will be direct credited to the bank account nominated on your form, unless you have a debt with us, or ask for it to be transferred to another income tax account.
- If you send in your form an then want to make another credit claim for donations, childcare or a housekeeper, post the receipts to us with your name, address and IRD number. We will update your claim.
Links open in a new window