(To use this service you need a user ID and password)
About this service
This service allows all Inland Revenue customers to exchange secure mail with Inland Revenue. Mail is sent and received using a user ID and password so you can discuss your tax affairs, child support or student loan without anyone being able to view the information sent.
When to use this service
You can use this service to contact us about your tax affairs, child support or student loan instead of phoning or writing.
However, secure mail cannot be used to dispute an assessment or determination made by Inland Revenue. To do this you need to use the formal disputes process. Please refer to the Disputing a tax assessment we have sent out to you (IR776) guide for more information.
If you are registering to use this service, you may be given access to other myIR Secure Online Services at the same time:
- File an employer schedule (ir-File) (this service is available to employers, tax agents and payroll bureaus)
- Look at Account Information (this service is available to employers, tax agents and payroll bureaus)
- Account information (this service is available to families and individuals customers)
- My family details and income (this service is available to Working for Families tax credits customers - primary child carers only)
- Client maintenance (this services is available to tax agents only)
- File a portfolio investment entity (PIE) return (this service is available to businesses and employers only)
- Manage account access (this service is available to all organisations)
- File goods and services tax (GST) returns See our demo >
We have new interactive online demonstrations.
What you will need
Your myIR user ID and password.
If you have not yet registered, please follow the Register link above.
If you have registered, and have activated your account, please use the Login link above.
If you wish to register using a tax agency's IRD number you will require a visit from your Agent Account Manager.
If you already have a myIR account you can use your current user ID and password to access the secure mail service.
After you finish
We will email a reply to your secure mail box. When you login to secure mail you will be able to see our reply.
This service may require you to send confidential information to Inland Revenue so it is located on a secure part of our website to prevent unauthorised interception. If you are unable to access this service, your browser and/or firewall settings may need updating.
Inland Revenue takes online security very seriously. We have systems in place to protect the information you provide us, and regularly update our standards and technology to provide protection for your personal information.
You play an important role in protecting your information by taking basic precautions to protect your computer and data. You should keep your computer secure, only deal online with people and organisations you know and trust, and check that your personal information travels across the internet on secure connections.
There are many resources about computer security (such as websites, books and magazines) that can help guide you on what security precautions are appropriate for your situation.