myIR, payments and more
Technical tax area: Product rulings
We issue product rulings only if both the following conditions are met:
- it is not feasible to seek a private ruling on the arrangement (this is generally because the identities of the other parties may not be known), and
- the characteristics of the taxpayers who may enter into the arrangement do not affect the content of the ruling.
The table below lists product rulings issued by year and number (BR Prd), with a brief description of the subject matter (earlier years will progressively be added).
Caution should be exercised when considering these product rulings:
- Product rulings apply only to the arrangement specified in the ruling. A general similarity to an arrangement will not necessarily lead to the same tax result.
- Rulings generally expire after three years.
- The table below does not indicate whether a ruling has expired (the expiry date of a ruling is set out in the text under the heading "The period for which this Ruling applies").
- Occasionally, a ruling is withdrawn before its expiry date. The table below indicates that a ruling has been withdrawn only if the ruling would be current if it had not been withdrawn.
Westpac New Zealand Limited
Applicant: Westpac New Zealand Limited
This ruling relates to a mortgage offset arrangement where customers can elect to use the balance of eligible accounts to offset against home loan accounts, to reduce interest payable on those home loan accounts.
Ruling applies from: 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2022
BR Prd 17/03 - PDF format (143kb | 7 pages)
Applicant: Kiwibank Limited
Kiwibank offers its customers the “Kiwibank Offset Mortgage” (the Product). The Product allows a customer to elect that interest payable by them on a loan made by Kiwibank be calculated by offsetting the balance of the loan against the aggregate credit balances of certain nominated transaction and savings and investments bank accounts held either by that customer or by certain other eligible person(s). Interest is payable on the net notional balance of these combined accounts. The Product was previously only available only to individual customers. It will now be made available to business customers, including companies and trusts.
Ruling applies from: 1 June 2016 to 31 May 2021
BR Prd 17/01 - PDF format (312kb | 7 pages)
Logbook Me Pty Limited and Fleet NZ Limited
Applicant: Logbook Me Pty Limited and Fleet NZ Limited
This product ruling applies to the use of LogbookMe, a cloud-based online platform which uses an on-board electronic recording device to log data about vehicular trips. LogbookMe can be used by New Zealand individuals and businesses to record all vehicle journeys. It allows the driver to classify and generate reports on the business use of the vehicle. This subsequently enables the calculation of a business use percentage.
Ruling applies from: 1 April 2017 to 1 April 2020
BR Prd 17/02 - PDF format (147kb | 9 pages)