What your entitlement depends on
The amount and type of payments (tax credits) you are entitled to depends on:
- the number of dependent children you care for
- your total annual family income (this includes any income you and/or your spouse or partner earn)
- if working, the number of hours you and your spouse or partner work each week
the type of income you and/or your spouse or partner earn. For some tax credits we distinguish between:
- earning a salary or wage
- being self-employed. This includes people who earn income through self-employment, a partnership, estate or trust, rental income, income from overseas, or someone who earns schedular payments
- receiving an income-tested benefit, student allowance or other payments from Work and Income
- other income such as interests, dividends, Maori Authority distributions, or passive income of children.
- for more information on the types of income you need to tell us about, please go to Adjustments to your income for Working for Families Tax Credits IR215.
Working out how much you can get
You can work out how much you can get if you:
- use our online calculator, or
- download the Working for Families Tax Credits entitlement chart (IR271), or
- call us.
Calculate it online
How to do it
Our online calculator Estimate your Working for Families Tax Credits in the "Work it out" section helps you estimate your entitlement. Simply enter the required information in the boxes, and the calculator will estimate your payment. The help text will guide you as you work through the calculator, which will take about 10 minutes to complete.
Please read the covering page of the calculator for details of family situations not covered by the calculator. If any of the situations apply to you, call us on 0800 227 773 to find out your correct entitlement.
Download an entitlement chart (IR271)
How to do it
You can use our entitlement chart Working for Families Tax Credits (IR271) in the "Work it out" section to:
- check what type of Working for Families Tax Credits you can receive, and
- estimate how much you may be entitled to.
Simply go to the family income column to find your family income (before tax). Follow the row until you find the children's details and enter the number in your care to get and estimate of how much you may be able to receive weekly.
What you should know
This chart only provides an estimate of your Working for Families Tax Credits if:
- you receive them either weekly or fortnightly
- your income is below $120,500, and
- you have less than six children.
If these situations don't apply, call us on 0800 227 773 to find out your correct entitlement.
You can call our automated 0800 self-service line on 0800 257 477.
You should call us on 0800 227 773 if:
- you share care for a child
- you receive foster care allowance, orphan's benefit or unsupported child's benefit, for one or more children
- you have more than six children,
- you had a multiple birth, or
- your income is above $120,500 NZD.
Find out more
Date published: 29 Mar 2012
Back to top