The data covers Inland Revenue administered GST only, and does not include gross GST collected by the New Zealand Customs Service.
The data for these statistics is available for download from the links at the bottom of the page.
Graph showing net GST by turnover band from 2007 to 2020
The graph has five lines showing Inland Revenue (IR) administered net GST by turnover band, from March 2007 to March 2020.
The changes since 2007 are:
- net IR GST rose 122% (not shown on graph)
- net IR GST for those whose annual GST turnover is either nil or less than $60,000 is below zero, i.e. in aggregate terms they receive net GST refunds from Inland Revenue (this data does not include Customs GST). However, from March 2007 to March 2020, the amount of GST refunded in the nil turnover band decreased 3% (from $664m to $628m) and the amount of GST refunded in the $1 to $60,000 turnover band decreased 19% (from $370m to $300m)
- net IR GST for those with turnover between $60,001 to $250,000 increased 76%
- net IR GST for those with annual GST turnover of between $250,000 to $1 million increased 81%
- net IR GST for those whose annual GST turnover was greater than $1 million increased 118%.