Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Working for Families More information


The minimum family tax credit amounts said and shown in the video are no longer correct.

Now you may be eligible for the minimum family tax credit if your family income is less than $30,576 a year after tax. This tops up your family income to at least $588 a week after tax.

Audio and visual transcript

Scene 1


The video title Working for Families Tax Credits appears and is replaced by a cartoon family of 2 parents and 2 children standing outside their home.

A checklist appears next to the parents showing ticks beside:

  • 16+ years
  • NZ resident
  • 12 months.

Our website address appears under the checklist.

Less than 18 symbols appear above the children.



Easy listening style music plays during the entire video.


Working for Families Tax Credits are payments for families with children to help with the costs of raising a family.

Your payments will be based on your estimated income for the tax year ahead and your family’s current circumstances.

To get Working for Families, you or your partner must be at least 16 years old and be responsible for the day-to-day care of the children.

You must also be a NZ resident or able to stay in NZ indefinitely and have been continuously here for 12 months.

Full details of the residency criteria are on our website

Children must be 18 years or under and financially dependent on you.

There are four different Working for Families Tax Credit payments.

You may qualify for one or more of these payments, depending on your family situation.

Scene 2


FAMILY TAX CREDIT appears above a family of 5 sitting at a dinner table.

A dollar symbol and 3 children appear in circles with a plus symbol between them, indicating the family tax credit is based on family income and total children in your care.



The family tax credit is a payment made for each dependent child in the family.

Your amount depends on your annual family income and the number of dependent children in your care.

Scene 3


IN-WORK TAX CREDIT appears above a parent holding the hand of 1 child and holding a pram with another child in it.

In the background the other parent leaves for work in a car and dollar symbols fall into the house indicating money is being earned from paid work.

Symbols appear indicating you are not able to get the in-work tax credit if you get an income-tested benefit or student allowance.



The in-work tax credit is a payment available for families who have some income from paid work each week.

If you’re on an income tested benefit or a student allowance, you won’t be eligible for this.

Scene 4


MINIMUM FAMILY TAX CREDIT appears next to a family of 3.

Less than $27,768 is shown.

Twenty appears above 1 parent indicating you can get the in-work tax credit if you're single and work at least 20 hours or more per week.

Thirty appears between both parents indicating you can get the in-work tax credit if you have a partner and work at least 30 hours or more per week between you.

Symbol appears indicating you are not able to get the minimum family tax credit if you get an income-tested benefit from Work and Income.



If your annual family income is 27,768 dollars or less after tax, you may be eligible for the minimum family tax credit payment.

To get this payment, you must be getting salary or wages. This tops up your family's income to at least 534 dollars a week after tax.

If you’re single, you must be working at least 20 hours per week.

If you have a partner, you must be working at least 30 hours per week between you.

The minimum family tax credit is not available to families getting an income-tested benefit from Work and Income like Sole Parent Support.

Scene 5


BEST START TAX CREDIT appears next to a person standing by a computer.

A baby appears in the person's arms, then moves to the floor with a 1 above their head indicating you can get the full amount of Best Start tax credit until they turn 1.

The baby turns into a toddler with a 3 above their head indicating you can get Best Start tax credit until they turn 3, but the amount will change depending on your income.

A calendar shows the Best Start tax credit starts after paid parental leave finishes.



Best Start is a payment of up to 60 dollars per week for families supporting a new-born baby.

Families who qualify for Best Start can get the payment until their baby turns one, no matter how much they earn.

After the first year, you can continue to get Best Start payments until your child turns three if your family’s income is under 93,858 dollars.

Best Start begins when paid parental leave finishes – you can’t get both at the same time.

Scene 6


Our website address is shown.

A calculator with the word ESTIMATE is shown to reinforce what you work out on the calculator is just an estimate.

ESTIMATE becomes ACTUAL after symbols for family and money move into the calculator, indicating we'll work out what you can get once we know your full details.

Four question marks appear representing the types of tax credits. These merge together and become a tick showing we'll work out what types of tax credits you can get.

The myIR logo is shown.



You can estimate your Working for Families tax credits using the calculator on

Please remember this is just an estimate of what payments you could get. Your actual amount may be different once we have assessed all your family information.

Don’t worry if you’re not sure which payments you might be eligible for, we’ll work this out for you when you register.

myIR is the simplest, fastest way to register.

See for the details you’ll need to complete your registration.

Scene 7


Two houses are shown separated by a dividing line from top to bottom, with CHILD SUPPORT appearing next to the house on the right.

Our website address is shown.



Aside from Working for Families tax credits, there’s other financial help.

If you’re not living with the other parent of your children, you may wish to apply for child support.

Child support is money paid by parents who do not live with their children or who share care with someone else.

You can find out more about child support including how to apply, by visiting

Scene 8


A parent and child are shown with symbols for a house, a child in a hand and money around them.

The Work and Income website address is shown.

The video ends with our website address and the Inland Revenue | Te Tari Taake logo shown.



If you need additional financial help, Work and Income may be able to assist with things like accommodation costs, childcare costs and other living costs.

Check out their website for more information.