Title: Employer changes
- Child support compulsory employer deductions
- Negative adjustments for Employment Information
- Version 1 of payday filing will be retired for filing.
You can find out more at: www.ird.govt.nz/payday-filing-version-2
And if you change your mind you can restore your dismissed alerts.
As we mentioned earlier the new legislation for child support will include the introduction of compulsory employer child support deductions from salaries of newly liable or returning child support customers. This will impact employers who have employees who are newly liable or returning child support customers.
Some employers will already be making child support deductions and will just need to be aware that, in future, they’ll need to do this for all employees who are newly liable or returning child support customers; other employers may need to adapt their processes in order to start making these deductions.
It will be critical that Employment Information forms are filed on time and correctly completed, including making sure the correct pay date is recorded; or a ceased code is provided as soon as a person is no longer employed.
When completing Employment Information (EI) files as part of the payroll process, you’ll be able to enter a negative value in the ‘prior period adjustment’ field to make adjustments for prior periods. You’ll only be able to do this if certain validations are met. We will talk more about what these validations are in coming months.
Now speaking of the EI files from 1 April, it became a requirement that employers use version 2 (employment information and employee details). This impacted those filing through software as those filing through paper or myIR onscreen were already using version 2.
- in October, Version 1 will be retired for filing.
- you must still amend EI’s using the same version you filed, so version 1 amendment files (EIA) will still be accepted.
- if you file through software and are unsure about which version you are using please contact your software provider.
- You can visit our website to find out more about payday filing version 2.