Repaying my student loan while living in New Zealand
- We’ve made updates to the student loan section in myIR and the letters we send you, so it’s easier to understand and manage your loan.
- We've added new options to help if you’re having trouble keeping up with your loan payments.
- There's a new payment option in myIR so you can check your balance and make payments from one place.
- We've created new calculators, making it easier to see when you will pay off your student loan and check when your payments and interest would change. For example, if you decide to move overseas.
- If you earn a salary or wage, the process has been improved for you and your employer, so you’ll know what to do when you’re close to paying off your loan.
Repaying my student loan while living overseas
- We’ve made updates to the student loan section in myIR and the letters we send you, so it’s easier to check the payments you’ve made and any upcoming payment due dates.
- We've added new options to help if you’re having trouble keeping up with your loan payments or if you’ve been unexpectedly unable to return to NZ.
- There's a new payment option available in myIR if you live in Australia, UK, Europe, Canada or the US. This allows you to check your balance and make a payment from one place.
- We've created new calculators, making it easier to see when you will pay off your student loan and check when your payment obligations and interest would change, if you decide to move back to New Zealand.
Working for Families Tax Credits
If you have a Working for Families overpayment, the new instalment payment option allows you to use some of your weekly or fortnightly payments to repay it. This can be easier than paying it all in one go.
Simply set up an instalment arrangement and select the ‘Working for Families Tax Credits’ payment method.
- Upgrades to myIR have made it easier to find out how much has been contributed to your KiwiSaver account.
- Your contributions will be transferred faster to your KiwiSaver provider, so your money can be invested earlier and your details will be more up to date.
- If you are not currently a KiwiSaver member, find out the benefits of KiwiSaver.
Are your details up to date?
To take advantage of these improvements, make sure that your details are up to date in myIR.
Don’t have a myIR account?
You can easily check your payments, update your details and manage your tax through myIR online, anytime.
Creating an account is easy, just make sure you have your IRD number ready when you start.