Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Gather your information

You'll need:

  • IRD numbers for you and your children
  • your bank account and income details
  • proof of date of birth for each child
  • proof of parentage
  • information about the other parent or carers.

Download and fill out the form

Fill out the Application to assess child support - IR101 form with as much detail as you can.

If you believe using your real name will cause safety concerns for you, a carer or your child, we may be able to leave your name out when communicating with the other parent. Attach any relevant documents to this form. For example a court order, police report, a letter from a social worker or Work and Income, or a letter from your doctor.

Send the form to us in myIR

Once you've saved your details, send your completed form to us in myIR.

Make sure you let us know the message is for child support. Attach your completed IR101 form and any supporting documents to the message.

You do not need to sign the form when sending it to us in myIR.

How to send a message in myIR

What happens next

We'll assess your application within 2 weeks and send the receiving carer and liable parent a notice. The notice will tell you how much you will get or need to pay.

Liable parents have 30 days to make their first payment. Receiving carers get paid by the 7th of each month if the liable parent has paid on time.

My responsibilities

From now on, you'll always need to:

  • tell us about any changes to your income or care arrangements as soon as you can
  • keep up payments if you are the liable parent
  • deal with debt as soon as possible
  • let us know if the child leaves care, starts working full time or, if 18 years old, leaves school.

Check you've included your correct information and any documents we need. Sign the form and send your documents to us at:

Child Support
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

You can also apply for a formula assessment over the phone. Before calling us, you'll need to make sure you've sent us:

  • your child's birth certificate
  • a proof of parentage. 

Child support - contact us