Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

You can write to us to acknowledge you're the parent of a child if no other proof exists. We'll accept your written acknowledgement unless there's a reason to doubt it's correct, for example, if our records show another person listed on the birth certificate.

Gather your information

You'll need your own: 

  • IRD number
  • current address
  • contact details.

You'll need your child's:

  • place of birth
  • date of birth. 

If this is for more than one child, give each child's details.

Write to us in myIR

You can send us a Change of circumstances - IR116 authenticated form by completing it in myIR.

Update my child support details

You can also do this by sending us either a:

  • secure email in myIR, making sure to include all the details in step 1
  • copy of a declaration made before the court that you're the child's parent, attaching this to a web message in myIR.

Log in to myIR

What happens next

By signing this form you are declaring you are the legal parent of the child named. You may now have to pay child support.

My responsibilities

You may want to seek legal advice before completing this declaration.

You can fill out the Acknowledgement of parentage - IR106 form. You'll need both parents to sign this along with a witness, then send it to:

Child Support
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

You can complete this form online before printing.

Alternatively, you can send us an Application to assess child support - IR101 you've completed and signed.

Apply for a formula assessment