Skip to main content

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August are able to apply for a Resurgence Support Payment. Find out more

COVID-19 - Our offices are currently closed for customer visits so we can support the government’s COVID response. We will contact you if you have already booked an appointment with us. You can still contact us and get help.    Contact us

Due to COVID-19, many employees are now working from home. In some instances, your employer may provide a special allowance to cover the costs of this. Your employer will need to determine if this allowance is taxable or not.

COVID-19 Employment allowances and reimbursements

However, in many cases you will be expected to bear these additional costs. If you're working for an employer, you're generally not able to deduct any costs incurred from income earned. Expenses you pay because you're working from home cannot be claimed against your income.

If you're self-employed, you may be able to claim some of these expenses.


If you only earn income that’s already taxed like salary, wages or investment income, then there are a few individual expenses you can claim.

Types of individual expenses
Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page