Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 If you have been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Unable to return to New Zealand

If you were intending to travel back to New Zealand but are now unable to, you can apply for your student loan to be interest-free. You'll need to have been a New Zealand tax resident while you were overseas and show that you were intending to stay overseas for less than 183 days.

Unexpected delay returning to New Zealand when I have a student loan

Tax residency

If you're struggling to make your student loans payments, we might be able to reduce your repayment obligations. Alternatively, you can propose an instalment arrangement to suit your situation.

Hardship and defaulting on my student loan

You can also apply for a student loan repayment deduction exemption if you're New Zealand based and:

  • are studying full-time, or about to start studying
  • will reasonably expect to earn under the annual repayment threshold.

Student loan repayment deduction exemption