Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

Income tax Dates

  • MAR 31
    Final date for ratio option provisional tax applications.
  • APR 7
    End-of-year income tax and Working for Families bills are due if you have an extension of time to file your income tax return.
  • MAY 7
    Provisional tax payments are due if you have a March balance date and use the standard, estimation or ratio options.

By 15 May each year you'll need to file:

  • New Zealand non-resident withholding tax (NRWT) certificates - IR67
  • NRWT reconciliation statement - IR67S.

Gather together your non resident withholding tax certificates - IR67

You will have sent the top copies of your NRWT certificates - IR67 to your clients. We need the bottom copies.

They show over the year:

  • the non residents you paid, with 1 IR67 for each non resident
  • the dividends, interest and royalties you paid to each of them
  • how much NRWT (if any) that you withheld or paid to each client.

Fill in the non resident withholding tax reconciliation statement - IR67S

We send you the NRWT reconciliation statement - IR67S and a pre-addressed envelope after 31 March. You can also complete it in myIR.

It should show us the total:

  • amount for each type of non resident passive income (NRPI)
  • NRWT calculated on the gross income
  • NRWT withheld or paid for the year to 31 March.

Finalise your reconciliation

If your statement shows a difference in payments, you’ll need to write to us detailing the inconsistency. The letter should include:

  • how any overpayments or underpayments happened
  • what you would like done with any credit.

Any NRWT you owe needs to be paid by 20 April to avoid late payment penalties.

Send your return to us through myIR

You can also file your return through our website, or file a paper return.

Filing online

You can file your return through our website.

File a return for non resident withholding tax (NRWT)

Filing paper returns

Attach to your IR67S reconciliation statement:

  • your IR67 certificates
  • any letters.

Put them into the pre-addressed envelope we sent you and post to:

Operations Delivery Upper Hutt
Inland Revenue
PO Box 39090
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045