Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

  Apply for a savings suspension

If you want a break from making KiwiSaver contributions you can take a savings suspension.

If you've been a contributing member of KiwiSaver for 1 year or more, you do not need to give a reason for wanting a savings suspension.

If it's an early request, we need evidence of financial hardship.

Gather your information

You'll need your:

  • IRD number, address and contact details
  • employer's business or trade name
  • employer's name, address and IRD number
  • evidence of financial hardship if you have not been a KiwiSaver member for 1 year.

Log in to myIR

Select 'Request a savings suspension'

Complete the online form in myIR.

Log in to myIR

What happens next

The savings suspension begins on the date we approve your request.

We will send you a notice with the start and end dates of your savings suspension. Show it to your employer.


My responsibilities

Hold on to your notice, if you change jobs you'll need to show it to your new employer.

If you do lose it either print off a copy from My KiwiSaver or contact us to reissue it.

If you gave us your employer's details, we'll send them a notice in the mail too.

Near the end of your savings suspension we'll let you know.

If you don't apply for another suspension we'll ask your employer to start deductions again.