Skip to main content

We're experiencing some issues with myIR, including connecting through software You may not be able to log in, or it might be slow to load. You'll only be able to access myIR for 15 minutes at a time, and changes are not being saved automatically.

Our offices Our offices in Greymouth and Wellington are currently closed to the public. All of our other offices are open. Update on our offices

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Use this process to apply for an IRD number if you either:

  • live in New Zealand and are a New Zealand citizen
  • are not a 'new arrival' to New Zealand, as advised by Immigration NZ.

Gather your identification documents

You'll need 1 of these:

  • New Zealand (NZ) passport
  • overseas passport with an NZ residence visa granted by Immigration NZ
  • full NZ birth certificate issued after 1 January 1998
  • NZ citizenship certificate
  • NZ firearm or dealer licence
  • NZ certificate of identity from the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) or the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
  • NZ refugee travel document
  • NZ emergency travel document.

You'll also need 1 of these:

  • New Zealand (NZ) driver licence
  • overseas driver licence
  • NZ 18+ card
  • Kiwi Access Card
  • NZ student photo ID
  • International driver permit from a member country of the United Nations Convention on road traffic.

If you’ve changed your name, you'll need a document proving your name change. This can be either a:

  • marriage or civil union certificate
  • name change certificate.

If applying for your child's IRD number

You'll need 1 identification (ID) document for your child, such as a:

  • New Zealand (NZ) passport
  • full NZ birth certificate issued after 1 January 1998
  • NZ citizenship certificate
  • NZ student photo ID.

If your documents do not show your relationship with your child, you’ll also need a document such as:

  • adoption papers
  • parenting orders
  • guardianship orders
  • Statutory declaration IR595D form.


Scan your documents

Make sure you've made electronic versions of the ID documents you've chosen. You need to upload them during the online application.

For passports, you only need to scan the pages showing your photo and names.

Get certified translations for documents not in English

If your identification documents are not in English, you must get them translated into English by an approved translator. Your translation will need to be certified.

Waka Kotahi - New Zealand Transport Agency has a full list of approved translators or you can use the Translation Service.

Approved translators (Waka Kotahi - New Zealand Transport Agency)

Translating documents into English ( information for the Translation Service)

Get your documents verified

Once you've applied online, take your original, physical identification (ID) documents to an AA driver licensing agent or your local PostShop with NZ Post. You can verify your ID documents with either of these organisations.

Individual IRD number applications (AA)

IRD number (New Zealand Post)

What happens next

Once the AA driver licensing agent or PostShop has verified your documents, you'll get your IRD number by text or email within 10 working days.

My responsibilities

  • Keep your IRD number where you can easily find it. You'll need it for tax-related events in your life.
  • You can start using myIR once you get your IRD number.
  • Tell us about any changes. The easiest way to update your details is in myIR.

Register for a personal myIR account

Update my details

If you do not have enough of the identification documents listed above, give us a call to find out your options.

Unable to get my IRD number online

  • You can complete a paper application and take it to an AA driver licensing agent or PostShop to verify your documents.
  • You can get an IRD number for your baby when you register the birth at SmartStart.

If you're doing everything by paper, you'll need to know the following.

  • New Zealand citizens, resident-visa holders and Australian citizens use IR595.
  • If you have another type of visa or you're an offshore person, use IR742.