Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Gather your ID documents

Any ID documents in foreign languages need to be translated.

You need to scan or photocopy each of your documents.

You need each of these:

  • photo ID
  • proof of address (for example, a letter from your utilities company)
  • tax identification number
  • proof of reason for applying for IRD number, for example, working here or buying property here
  • a fully functioning New Zealand bank account or customer due diligence.

If you’ve changed your name you also need a document proving your name change, like a:

  • marriage or civil union certificate
  • name change certificate.

Applying for an IRD number for your child

As well as ID for yourself you will also need:

  • ID for your child – the same documents as listed above
  • proof of your relationship with your child, for example, birth certificate, adoption papers or guardianship order.

Fill in the application form

Send your form to us


  • email your form and scanned copies of your ID to:

Offshore contact


Offshore contact
  • post your form and photocopies of your ID to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39050
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
New Zealand

What happens next

  • We aim to process your application within 8–10 working days.
  • We'll text, email or post your IRD number to you. It can take 20 working days to arrive if you ask us to post it.

My responsibilities

  • Keep your IRD number where you can easily find it. You'll need it for tax-related events in your life.
  • Tell us about any changes. The easiest way to update your details is in myIR.
  • You can start using myIR once you get your IRD number.