Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, and to process some COVID-19 Support Payment applications. This is because of the impact of COVID-19. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

There are 3 name types you can update with us.

  • Legal name.
  • Preferred name.
  • Trade name.

Before you start

You'll need to attach supporting documents confirming your name change, such as:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate
  • Change of Name certificate.

Make sure you have a digital copy of your documents before you request a change to your legal name.

Select the 'I want to tab...' in myIR

Go down to 'Communicating with IR' and select 'Send a message'

After selecting 'Send a message', select the following options:

  • This message is not relevant to a specific account
  • Other.

In the subject line enter 'Legal name change'.

Include a message that you want to change your legal name, including what it was and what it is now. Then add your supporting documents and submit the message to us.

Log in to myIR

Select the 'I want to...' tab in myIR

Go down to 'My details' and select 'Manage names and addresses'

Select 'Add name' next to the type of name you want to update

Log in to myIR

My responsibilities

It's important you keep your contact, income type and bank account details updated.

If you're a Working for Families or child support customer you'll also need to tell us about changes to your family situation or income.

If you want to use a paper form, download our Change of details form - IR238. Fill it in and send it to us at:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045
New Zealand

Jump back to the top of the page