Webinars and Seminars
For more detail on the below changes, including screenshots, you can attend one of our employer seminars in person, or watch a webinar live or on demand.
Changes in myIR
In April you will see the following changes in myIR when you file employment information.
Changes in your accounts
- Employer accounts will be combined into a single Employer Activities (Payroll) account which will include all deductions made. This will make it easier for you to track transactions and payments.
- Transactions, such as employment returns filed and payments, will show up sooner.
New payment options
There will be new payment options when filing in myIR, including the option to pay at the same time you file if you choose to. The due dates for payments haven't changed.
New payment code
There will be a new code, EMP, which will allow you to make one payment to cover all your employer associated deduction types. The codes for the remaining associated employer deduction types will be removed.
This means that you will no longer be able to make payments using the following codes:
- CSE – Child support employer
- KSE – KiwiSaver employee
- KSR – KiwiSaver employer
- PAY – Pay as You Earn
- SLE – Student loan employer
- SSC – Superannuation Scheme Contributions.
Instead of using the above deduction codes make one payment, using the new payment code – EMP.
Notifications will be grouped
Notifications such as requests to change employee tax codes, start or stop employee deductions or for errors that need to be fixed will now be grouped and sent weekly as needed. They will also be grouped by each employee.
- The "New Employee Details" (IR346) and the "KiwiSaver Enrolment" (KS1) will be combined into one "Employee Details' form, both in myIR and on paper. You will only need to provide a KiwiSaver status for new employees. It will no longer be collected for existing employees.
- You will be required to supply an employee's first and last name when completing new employee details as well as the name they will be known by in your payroll if it is different.
- You will be asked to provide more information from employees such as hours paid, if you have it. This will assist with managing entitlements such as Working for Families tax credits. Reporting this information will be voluntary and only when you file through payroll software or myIR.
- We will notify you in advance of when an employee's student loan is almost repaid – telling you the final deduction amount and their new tax code.
Using file transfer
- When filing using File Transfer" you will be able to either upload a single CSV file or a zip file of multiple CSV files for that employer account. Each of these files will be checked field by field and we will provide feedback about any errors which were identified within the file.
New fields in the Employment Information return
New fields will be added to the Employment Information (EI) return including:
- employee share income (ESS),
- extra compulsory deductions for student loans (SLCIR),
- and extra voluntary deductions for student loans (SLBOR).
If it applies you will need to complete these fields instead of using a separate tax code on an additional line on the EI.