Gather your information
Write us a letter that explains why you should become an approved charitable organisation. You should include:
- whether you are registered as a charity with the Department of Internal Affairs – Charitable Services
- whether you are a non-resident ‘tax charity’ with an income tax exemption approved by us
- information on the work your organisation does
- details of the work volunteers will do for your organisation
- details of any payments the volunteers would qualify for.
If you’re not a registered charity in New Zealand we will need additional information, such as:
- a copy of your trust deed, constitution or other governing rules
- if you’re recognised as a charitable organisation with an overseas tax authority or Government charity regulator (you will need to provide copies of relevant documentation)
- your standing and credibility as a charitable organisation
- if you’re publicly accountable
- the monitoring and evaluation processes you have in place
- your accounting and record keeping practices
- other matters we consider relevant.
Send us your application
Send us your application and any other information as attachments to a message in myIR.
Log in to myIR
What happens next
We will contact you if we need any more information.
You can also post your application to us at:
PO Box 1147
Palmerston North Central
Palmerston North 4440
You can also send your application by email to [email protected].