Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

If you cannot register with the Charities Services you can apply to us for an income tax exemption.

You must meet the following criteria:

  • The organisation is not resident in New Zealand.
  • The organisation carries out its charitable purposes overseas.
  • The organisation provides a public benefit and does not apply its funds for private profit.

The organisation must also be recognised as being charitable by one or more overseas charities regulators or tax authorities under any of the following charitable heads:

  • the relief of poverty
  • the advancement of education
  • the advancement of religion
  • any other matter beneficial to the community.