Skip to main content

Service changes and updates IR offices, myIR and phone lines (SPK2IR) are unavailable until the morning of Thursday 28 October for planned system maintenance. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) You will not be able to apply for the RSP in myIR until the morning of Thursday 28 October. Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August can apply in myIR from 28 October. Applications for a 4th payment round are planned to open on 29 October. Find out more

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) The government has announced an increase to the amount and frequency of the RSP from 12 November. Find out more

If you live in New Zealand, how you repay your student loan will depend on if you have: 

  • salary or wage income
  • self-employed income
  • other types of income, including trust income, dividends, shareholder salary or overseas income.

If you earn salary or wages and use the right tax code, your student loan deductions will be paid automatically by your employer.

Tax codes for individuals

Repaying my student loan when I earn salary or wages

If you are self-employed or earn other types of income, you will need to make the student loan repayments yourself. 

Make a payment

Repaying my student loan when I am self-employed or earn other income

Leaving New Zealand

When you live in New Zealand and are not absent for long periods, you are considered New Zealand-based. This means your student loan will be interest free. 

If you leave New Zealand for around 5 out of 6 months, you may become an overseas-based customer and your loan will stop being interest free. Interest on your loan is backdated to the day after you left New Zealand. Make sure you know when your status changes and what happens to your student loan when you go overseas.

What happens to my student loan when I go overseas

It is a good idea to set up a nominated person to manage your loan while you are overseas, but you do not have to.

If you have set up a nominated person who can manage your tax matters for you, they can update your details through their own myIR account. If you have set them up with access to all account types, they will be able to view and update any future accounts you may get.

Nominated person 

Get access to an account as a nominated person

Keeping your student loan interest free

There are some situations where you can be overseas for more than around 5 out of 6 months but keep your student loan interest free.

For example, you might be studying or volunteering overseas, living in Niue, Cook Islands, Tokelau or Ross Dependency, or you might have tried to get back to New Zealand but been delayed.

When can I keep my student loan interest free overseas

Returning to New Zealand

If you were travelling and became overseas-based, you'll need to know:

  • your repayment obligations for your student loan
  • when you can become New Zealand-based again.

What happens to my student loan when I go overseas

If you become New Zealand-based, we will write off any loan interest charged from the day you returned to New Zealand. If you paid off your student loan since being back, you may have a refund you can claim for that interest.

When you pay off your student loan

If you have come back to New Zealand but need to take an unplanned trip that would stop you becoming New Zealand-based again, we may be able to help you. 

Unplanned absence from New Zealand when I have a student loan

Last updated: 04 May 2021
Jump back to the top of the page