Skip to main content

We're experiencing some issues with myIR, including connecting through software You may not be able to log in, or it might be slow to load. You'll only be able to access myIR for 15 minutes at a time, and changes are not being saved automatically.

Our offices Our offices in Greymouth and Wellington are currently closed to the public. All of our other offices are open. Update on our offices

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Your rights

  • You can get someone else's advice about your legal obligations.
  • No one can see your student loan information without your consent, unless the law lets them see it.
  • You can nominate someone to act on your behalf with your student loan account – this may be useful if you are travelling overseas.
  • You can access your student loan information at any time in myIR.
  • You can request a statement of account at any time.
  • You can object to any information about your student loan.
  • You can access the information we hold about you in your Inland Revenue records.

If you think the information we have about you or your loan is wrong, you can ask us to change it. You might need to send us a legal document to make some changes. For example, we may need to see your birth certificate or marriage certificate to change the name that’s in our records. We will either change the information or explain to you why we do not think it should change.

If you have found yourself in a difficult situation while repaying your loan, we can try to make things easier. It is best to talk to us if you are in hardship or are worried you could miss a payment. 

Hardship and defaulting on my student loan

Your responsibilities

  • Make sure we have your correct name and contact details.
  • Tell us if you are going overseas for 6 months or more, and the dates you leave and return.
  • Meet all your student loan repayment obligations until your loan is repaid.
  • Keep a record of your adjusted net income, where applicable.

Update my student loan details

Repaying my student loan

What happens to my student loan when I go overseas

Writing off a student loan

A loan is written off if the organisation that loaned the money thinks it will never be repaid. A student loan can only be written off if the customer:

  • dies
  • is declared bankrupt.

Updating your details

It is important to keep your contact details up-to-date so you receive the correct information about your loan. Let us know if you change your address, phone number, email or bank account. You'll also need to let us know if you go overseas. 

Update my student loan details

Tax codes

You must make sure you are using a SL tax code while you have a student loan and are working in New Zealand. You must make your minimum repayments.

Tax codes for individuals

Repaying my student loan when I earn salary or wages

Repaying my student loan when I am self employed or earn other income

What happens to my student loan when I go overseas

What we do with your information

We might ask you for information to work out your repayments and obligations under the Inland Revenue Acts, including the Student Loan Scheme Act 2011. We may give this information to:

  • some government agencies
  • another country, if we have an information supply agreement with them
  • Statistics New Zealand, for statistical purposes only.

Disputing a decision

You can dispute a decision if you:

  • do not agree with it
  • think relevant information was not taken into consideration.

To have a decision reviewed you will need to enter into the formal disputes process, and send us a Notice of proposed adjustment - IR770.