Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

You can take a break from repaying your student loan for up to 12 months while you travel overseas. You need to let us know if you want a temporary repayment suspension either:

  • before you go overseas
  • within 6 months of leaving.

During your temporary repayment suspension, interest is added to your student loan but you do not need to make repayments.

You can apply for a temporary repayment suspension in myIR or by calling us.

Go to 'myIR' < 'Student loan account' < 'I want to...' and then scroll down to 'Travelling overseas'. You'll be able to apply for a 'Temporary repayment suspension' here.

Log in to myIR

Student loans - contact us