Skip to main content

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August are able to apply for a Resurgence Support Payment. Find out more

COVID-19 - Our offices are currently closed for customer visits so we can support the government’s COVID response. We will contact you if you have already booked an appointment with us. You can still contact us and get help.    Contact us

If the principal reason you are overseas is to accompany your partner for their study, government-funded scholarship for study or internship, or work, you may be able to keep your student loan interest free.

To apply for this you must remain a New Zealand tax resident.

If you will be overseas for more than 10 months (325 days) you will need to complete a New Zealand Tax Resident Questionnaire - IR886 form.

Tax residency status for individuals

You will need to send us proof that you were living with your partner before you left New Zealand. This could be:

  • a marriage or civil union certificate
  • joint documents such as a tenancy agreement, utility bills, property mortgage documents, or bank statements.

We will need proof that your partner is working or studying overseas and they meet the requirements explained in one of the following pages.

Studying overseas when I have a student loan

Working overseas when I have a student loan

Interning or studying overseas with a Government-funded scholarship when I have a student loan

Apply to keep my student loan interest free

Last updated: 28 Apr 2020
Jump back to the top of the page