You can apply for your loan to be interest free if you were intending to travel for less than 6 months but, because of events outside of your control, you could not return to New Zealand as planned.
Some examples of these delays are:
- personal illness or accident
- death or illness of a family member
- natural disasters.
To apply, you’ll need to have been a New Zealand tax resident while you were overseas and show that you were intending to stay overseas for less than 183 days.
You’ll need to provide the following proof:
- evidence of the reason you were delayed
- your original flight reservations
- a completed New Zealand tax residence questionnaire - IR886 if you were overseas for more than 325 days.
What did you like about this page?
Please tell us how we could improve this page?
Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.
Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.