Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

If you're a prison inmate, hospital or rehabilitation centre patient for at least 13 weeks in a row, you can apply for an exemption to stop or reduce your child support payments.

Gather your information

You will need your IRD number.

Fill in the form and send it to us

Fill in the form or ask someone to fill it out for you and send it to us. You can get an officer of the prison or hospital to fill it in for you. The form will need an official stamp from the prison, hospital or rehabilitation facility.

What happens next

We will let you know of the result by mail. If we accept your application you will get a new notice of assessment. If we decline your application we will send you a letter telling you why.

My responsibilities

  • You must send your application while you are in prison.
  • If you owe child support you may still have to make those payments to avoid penalties. 
  • If your circumstances change let us know so you can start paying the right amount and avoid penalties.