Skip to main content

Te tono i tētahi aweretanga tāke kaiponu kainoho Apply for a resident withholding tax exemption


Check you're eligible

You need to meet certain criteria before you apply for an exemption.

Gather your information

You need:

  • your IRD number
  • your contact details
  • the reason for the declaration.

Apply in myIR

My responsibilities

Tell your payer you have a certificate of exemption from paying resident withholding tax, and what the expiry date is.

You can mail us a paper form instead. 

Send the completed form to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

Application for exemption from resident withholding tax (RWT) on interest and dividends IR451 (PDF 94KB) Download form