A voluntary disclosure is when you tell us what is wrong with your tax returns before we find out in some other way. For example, you omitted some income from your return or incorrectly claimed expenses.
Any individual, business, trust or employer can make a voluntary disclosure.
You can make a voluntary disclosure at any time in writing or by calling us.
Gather your information
You will need:
- your IRD number or GST number
- the reason you are making a voluntary disclosure
- the year or tax period you made the mistake in
- any outstanding returns.
Make your disclosure
You can make your disclosure by:
- sending us a secure mail in myIR
- completing and sending us a Voluntary disclosure (IR281) form
- calling us
- sending us a letter, fax or email
- visiting one of our offices
- telling us during an interview
- using the "make an amendment" option in myIR, (where available).