Skip to main content

Security From 30 October, we are increasing the security of our websites. If you have an old browser, you may need to update it.

Te rēhita hei kaituku mahi Register as an employer


You need to register with us as an employer as soon as you start employing.

Gather your information

You will need:

  • the IRD number for your business – this could be your individual, partnership, company, trust or other organisation number
  • your contact details (if you’re not registering through myIR)
  • the date you will start employing
  • details of any fringe benefits you will be providing
  • any specified superannuation contributions you will be making
  • any student loan payments you will be making 
  • PAYE deduction tables
  • the number of employees you will have, including contractors receiving schedular payments.

If you do not have an IRD number you will need to apply for one.

Register online

You can register as an employer in myIR.

What happens next

After you've registered as an employer, we'll send you a letter with information about:

  • keeping wage records
  • making deductions from PAYE income paid to employees and contractors
  • completing and filing employer returns, and
  • paying the deductions to us.

You are also registered for Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) payments. ACC will invoice you for the:

  • Work levy
  • Working Safer levy
  • Earners' levy – you deduct this as part of the PAYE from your employees' pay. It covers non-work related accidents.

    If you do not have myIR, you can download and print the Employer registration form.

Employer registration IR334 (PDF 87KB) Download form