Skip to main content

myIR outage Some areas in myIR, such as child support, will be unavailable from 12am until 6am Sunday 20 September. Thank you for your patience.

Offices closed All Inland Revenue offices are currently closed to the public to help limit the spread of COVID-19.

COVID-19 - Level 2 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

A private agreement does not involve us. People in private agreements typically:

  • decide how much money will be paid and when
  • decide how the money will be paid
  • discuss how they will deal with changes in circumstances.

Your agreement can be written or verbal. You might decide that one person pays for bills, school fees, dentist costs, gifts or items. It is up to you what kind of arrangement you make. It may or may not involve your lawyer.   

What happens next

Since there is no Inland Revenue involvement, it is up to the parents and carers to make sure everyone sticks to the agreement.

If things are not working out and you can no longer rely on payment, you can switch to a voluntary agreement or apply for a formula assessment so we can help with collecting payment. Switching agreements means the paying parent will have to make minimum regular payments of $10 per week.