Skip to main content

Security From 30 October, we are increasing the security of our websites. If you have an old browser, you may need to update it.

Te whiriwhiri i taku waehere tāke Work out my tax code

You need a tax code if you receive salary, wages, benefits, interest, dividends or other income which has tax taken out before you get paid. Your tax code might be different for different types of income.

What happens next

You need to declare your tax code to your employer or payer if you receive:

  • salary or wages
  • a Work and Income benefit
  • New Zealand Superannuation
  • Veteran’s Pension or
  • a student allowance. 

If you receive schedular payments as a contractor, you need to declare your tax rate or show a certificate of exemption to your payer. 

My responsibilities

You need to tell your employer or payer if your tax code changes.