Skip to main content

We're experiencing some issues with myIR, including connecting through software You may not be able to log in, or it might be slow to load. You'll only be able to access myIR for 15 minutes at a time, and changes are not being saved automatically.

Our offices Our offices in Greymouth and Wellington are currently closed to the public. All of our other offices are open. Update on our offices

COVID-19 - Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

There are four types of Working for Families payments.  After you apply, we'll send you a notice of entitlement telling you which payments you're eligible for, how much your payments will be, and the date of your first payment.

Can I get Working for Families?

Applying for Working for Families

Family tax credit

This payment depends on how much you earn, the number of dependent children you have and any shared care arrangements.

You cannot get the payment if you get a parent's allowance or a child's pension under the Veterans' Support Act 2014.

Minimum family tax credit

This is a payment if your annual family income is $27,768 or less after tax. It tops up your family's income to at least $534 a week after tax. To get this payment you must work for salary or wages and not be self-employed. A single parent must work at least 20 hours a week. In a two parent family, one or both parents between them, must work at least 30 hours a week.

The minimum family tax credit is not available to families receiving the following:

  • an income-tested benefit
  • a parent's allowance
  • children's pension from Veterans' Affairs New Zealand.

In-work tax credit

This is a payment available for families who have some income from paid work each week. Like the Family tax credit this payment depends on how much you earn. If you're receiving an income-tested benefit or a student allowance you will not be eligible for this payment.

Income-tested benefits are:

  • Jobseeker support
  • Sole parent support
  • Supported living payment
  • Youth payment
  • Young parent payment
  • Emergency benefit
  • Main benefit equivalent assistance 

You can get the in-work tax credit if your income is from Accident compensation - including survivor payments, or paid parental leave.

As long as you are working, you can get the in-work tax credit if you receive other types of income, including:

  • NZ Superannuation
  • a Foster Care Allowance
  • an Orphan's Benefit
  • an Unsupported Child Benefit
  • Veteran's Pension
  • weekly compensation from Veterans' Affairs New Zealand.

You cannot get in-work tax credit when your family gets:

  • a student allowance
  • a parent's allowance or children's pension from Veterans' Affairs New Zealand 

Up until 1 July 2020

Before 1 July 2020, working families needed to work for the required number of hours to get the in-work tax credit. Couples needed to normally work at least 30 hours combined a week. Single parents needed to normally work at least 20 hours a week.

From 1 July 2020

From 1 July 2020, working families no longer need to work a minimum number of hours to be able to get in-work tax credit payments. Your family can get the in-work tax credit if you are in paid work - for example working for salary or wages, or self-employed.

Check my eligibility for the in-work tax credit

Best Start

Best Start is a payment of $60 per week for families supporting a newborn baby. Families who qualify for Best Start can receive the payment until their baby turns 1, no matter how much they earn.

After the first year, you can continue to receive Best Start payments until your child turns 3, if you earn under $93,858. The amount you receive depends on your family income. Best Start begins when paid parental leave finishes, you cannot receive both at the same time.

If you're receiving a benefit, you need to let Work and Income know about your child's birth. They'll set up your payments and let you know about any changes to your benefit.

5 minutes
Estimate your Working for Families Tax Credits

Use this calculator to estimate how much your payments could be.

Go to this tool