Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

Student loans
Ngā pūtea tarewa ākonga

You must use a tax code that includes the "SL" repayment code if you're working for salary or wages.

Latest news


See how much you owe

To check your loan balance online you need to register for our myIR Secure Online Services.

Find out more

Going overseas when you have a student loan

If you're planning to go overseas for less than six months, the way you pay your student loan stays the same. If you're planning to go overseas for more than six months, your repayment obligations change. Here are the top things you need to know.

Find out more

Guide to student loans

Find out about applying for a student loan, and your rights and responsibilities when you have one.

Things you need to know

Find out more

Thinking about study? Go to This link opens in a new window.