myIR, payments and more
Registered customers by customer group - large enterprises, non-profit organisations, small and medium enterprises, and individuals.
The data for these statistics is available for download from the links below.
Registered customers by customer group 2007 to 2016 | Excel | 12kb
Graph of registered customers by customer group (non-profit organisation vs large enterprise)
Graph of registered customers by customer group (individual vs small and medium enterprises)
The significant decrease in the number of non-profit organisations is attributable to a review of non-profit organisations by Inland Revenue in the 2010 year. Non-profit organisations no longer operating, and those whose non-profit status was no longer valid, were removed from the non-profit customer group.
Note 1: Large enterprises
Note 2: Non-profit organisations
Non-profit organisations include all entities that are not large enterprises and are exempted from income tax with the following exemption types:
- local and regional promotional bodies
- charitable bequests
- bodies promoting amateur games and sports
- TAB and racing clubs
- bodies promoting scientific or industrial research
- veterinary service bodies
- herd improvement bodies
- community trusts
- non-profit bodies.
Note 3: Small and medium enterprises
Small and medium enterprises include:
- all entities with an active relationship for GST or PAYE that do not belong to large enterprises or non-profit organisations, and
- all non-individual entities without active registration for GST or PAYE not belonging to non-profit organisations.
Note 4: Individuals
Individuals include all individual customers who are not registered for GST or PAYE and do not belong to large enterprises, non-profit organisations and small and medium enterprises.