Links open in a new window
About this calculator
This calculator is for all student loan borrowers - whether New Zealand or overseas-based. It will provide you with an estimate of when your loan will be repaid and give you an indication of how extra repayments can help you repay your loan faster.
Use of this tool does not result in data being submitted to us.
When to use this calculator
Use this calculator if you're a student loan borrower and you want to see:
- an estimate of how much you should pay if you decide to pay your loan in full today
- a long term overview of your loan and how long it might take to fully repay
- the difference extra repayments would make to the term of your student loan
- how much you could reduce your loan by the end of this tax year
- If you're a New Zealand based borrower this calculator is for your salary and wage income only.
- If you earn or receive income that's not from salary or wages in New Zealand, find out more.
- This calculator is for borrowers who have one change in residency, e.g. a New Zealand-based borrower moves overseas and becomes an overseas-based borrower, or vice versa. It does not cater for multiple changes of residency, e.g. a New Zealand-based borrower moves overseas for some years and then returns to New Zealand.
This calculator only provides general guidance. Figures produced by the calculator are estimates only and cannot be used to determine a definitive balance to pay.
If you require a final balance because you are repaying your loan in full, you will need to contact us to confirm your final amount to pay. You can do this by either sending us a secure mail via our Look at Account Information service or call us on 0800 377 778.
We recommend that you revisit this calculator if your circumstances change (such as your salary or living circumstances).
This calculator will take about five minutes to complete.
What you will need
There are a number of assumptions that this calculator makes and we recommend that you read these before using this calculator.
You will need details of your:
- current loan balance
- income from salary or wages for the current tax year
After you finish
If you decide to make extra repayments, go to making extra repayments.
You may wish to print and keep a copy of this results page for your records. Please remember the results provided in the calculation are an estimate only and for general guidance only.
No information you provide while using the calculator is recorded, saved or in any way referenced by Inland Revenue. The calculator is stored on a secure part of our website to prevent unauthorised interception. If you are unable to access the calculator, you may need to update your browser and/or firewall settings.
Links open in a new window