Skip to Content

Child support
Turuki Tamariki

What happens if you get overpaid child support

Sometimes you can receive too much child support. This can happen when:

  • the paying parents assessment has changed
  • your circumstances change - for example, a child leaves your care but you continue to be paid child support for them.

If you get overpaid we’ll phone you to talk about the overpayment. We'll also send you a letter telling you:

  • how much we've overpaid you
  • why we've overpaid you
  • when we overpaid you.

How to pay the money back

We'll ask you to pay the money back either by:

  • reducing your child support payments if you're still entitled to them, or
  • making an arrangement with you to repay the money by instalments through:
    • an automatic payment from your bank, or
    • sending us a cheque for an agreed amount and frequency.

You can also pay the debt in full if you're able to.

What if you can't pay the money back

In some situations, we can write the debt off. This depends on whether you’re still entitled to child support payments, how much the debt is and your current financial situation.

To work out the best option for you, call us and we'll talk it over with you.

For more help

To talk with us about child support call us on 0800 221 221 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Find out more about how to manage your debt.

Read more in our booklet Debt options (IR582). Go to "Forms and guides".


Date published: 27 Jun 2014

Back to top