Skip to Content

Child support
Turuki Tamariki

For paying parents not living in New Zealand

If you're a paying parent living outside New Zealand, you must:

  • provide proof of your earnings, in the form of a copy of an employer tax deduction certificate(s) and/or a letter from your employer verifying your overseas income
  • advise us of your income in the overseas currency. We convert the amount into New Zealand dollars using the average exchange rate for the year, and then adjust this income figure to account for New Zealand inflation.

For the 2015 child support assessment year, we use NZ$134,081 as the maximum income figure (it changes every year). If your income is more than NZ$134,081 after we've added in the inflation factor, we'll use this amount in the child support formula. This maximum income figure is two and a half times the average wage in New Zealand.


Date published: 19 Feb 2014

Back to top