Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

Forms and guides
Ngā puka tāke me ngā puka tohutohu

Voluntary disclosure IR281P

(published January 2015)

About this form

A voluntary disclosure is when you tell us what is wrong with your tax returns before we find out in some other way. It may be if you have omitted some income from your return or incorrectly claimed expenses . Anyone can make a voluntary disclosure - salary or wage earners, individuals, businesses, trusts and employers.

PDF | 41kb | 2 pages

This form can be completed on-screen by typing content directly into the PDF document. Once you have completed the form it is important that you print it out as you will not be able to save the information you enter into the form.

When to use this form

Use this form if you think you should have paid tax on the sale of a property but didn't. For more information on voluntary disclosures refer to the guide Putting your tax affairs right (IR280).

What you will need

You will need:

  • your IRD or GST number - if you do not have this call us on 0800 227 774.
  • contact details.

Tell us why you are making a voluntary disclosure, ie state:

  • why the omission(s) or error(s) occurred.
  • the year(s) or period(s) concerned.

You will need to give us enough information to work out how much tax you owe. This may include attaching outstanding returns. If you do not have all the information, please tell us when you will be able to provide it.

Report an accessibility problem for this page

After you finish

List of postal addresses for Inland Revenue >