myIR, payments and more
KiwiSaver opt-out request
About this service
If your employer has automatically enrolled you in KiwiSaver you can use this service to opt out. You can't opt out of KiwiSaver if you opted in.
When to use this service
Use this service if you don't want to be a member of a KiwiSaver and :
- your employer automatically enrolled you, we'll approve your request on or after day 14 and on or before day 56 of starting your employment with them.
- you started employment more than 56 days ago and it's less than three months since your first contribution was received by Inland Revenue. In this case you'll be required to provide a reason for your late opt out and your request may not be approved.
- your request is received more than three months after your first contribution is received by Inland Revenue you cannot opt out and your request will be treated as an application for a contributions holiday.
- you haven't yet reached your 19th birthday and you were enrolled before your 18th birthday without the necessary consent.
Please note if your request is received more than three months after your first contribution is received by Inland Revenue, you can't opt out and your request will be treated as an application for a contributions holiday.
- your IRD number, address and contact details,
- your employer's business or trade name,
- your employer's address, or their IRD number,
- your employment start date,
- your bank account details - for any refunds,
- your late opt out reason - if this is a late opt out.
After you finish
We'll assess your application to opt out of KiwiSaver and notify you of the outcome.
If the opt out is successful, we will notify your employer and they'll stop your KiwiSaver deductions. You will be refunded any KiwiSaver contributions your employer has already deducted from your pay by your employer or by Inland Revenue once the contributions are received.
This service is located on a secure part of our website to prevent unauthorised interception. If you are unable to access this product, your browser and/or firewall settings may need updating.