Forms starting with: O
About this guide
This guide is currently out-of-date and is being reviewed. A new version will be available in September 2014. For information on the withdrawal or transfer of foreign superannuation go to "Search" and type in keywords: foreign superannuation. For information on the taxation of overseas periodic pensions go to "Search" and type in keywords: double tax agreements.
Adobe Acrobat PDF | |
When to use this guide
If you are a New Zealand tax resident with an interest in a foreign superannuation scheme or you receive an overseas periodic pension this guide explains what your tax obligations are in New Zealand. You can find out:
- whether you'll have to pay tax on:
- the value of your investment
- lump-sum withdrawals and transfers (known as "foreign superannuation withdrawals"), or
- overseas periodic pension payments
- how a New Zealand double tax agreement could affect your tax
- whether you can claim a tax credit in your New Zealand tax return for tax paid overseas.
This guide was formerly known as Overseas private pensions (IR257).
What you will need