Skip to Content

Find out about
Me pēhea
Managing financial difficulty and debt: Child support paying parents

How to pay your child support

If you're a paying parent, there are several ways you can pay child support. You can:

If you're a paying parent living in Australia you will find more information about making payments in our Child support paying parents who live in Australia (IR158) factsheet.

If you pay your child support by credit or debit card

Your payment will go to the most current month. Any extra you pay will go to any debt you may have.

If you’ve made an arrangement to pay off your debt you can use your credit or debit card to make those payments.

Custodians with debt cannot pay by credit or debit card.

Deductions from your Work and Income benefit

If you receive a benefit from Work and Income, we'll ask them to automatically deduct your child support payments before your benefit is paid into your bank account.

Work and Income beneficiaries can't choose other ways of making child support payments. If you're a paying parent going on a Work and Income benefit, you must contact us so automatic deductions can begin.

If your employer makes deductions from your pay

If you're in paid employment you can arrange for your employer to deduct your child support from your wages. If you choose this option, please contact us to arrange it.

If we instruct employers to make these deductions, they must do so. The arrangement is confidential.

Employers are not allowed to:

  • use this information to discriminate against you in any way
  • give information about your child support to other people.

If you have a question or issue about the amount of child support deducted from your pay, please contact us on 0800 221 221.

Find out more about making deductions for child support if you're an employer



Date published: 27 Jun 2014

Back to top