Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

In this section

Māori organisations

Facing difficulties meeting obligations: Filing returns

Forgotten to send us your return?

If we've asked you to file a return and you haven't yet done so, we'll estimate the amount of tax we think you owe. This is called a default assessment. You may also be charged a late filing penalty.

It is important that you file the overdue return so that your correct tax position can be confirmed. You may even be entitled to a refund.

What to do now

Complete the overdue return and send it in immediately. If you're having trouble completing the return or if you don't think you need to file please call us. Even if you pay the default assessment amount, you still must file the overdue return.

If we don't hear from you

We'll start a recovery process to collect the default assessment amount. We'll also start charging penalties and interest on any overdue amounts. We may consider prosecution action.

See the "Tax due date calculator" under "Work it out" for the return due dates that apply to your organisation.