myIR, payments and more
Applying for a student loan
Find out how to apply for a student loan with StudyLink.
A student loan can help finance your tertiary studies. You can get a loan to help with your fees, course-related costs and weekly living costs.
But remember, you will have to repay the loan, so only borrow what you need.
Go to Studylink's website to find out more about applying for a student loan, and other options to help fund your study.
You won’t be able to borrow through the Student Loan Scheme if:
- you have $500 or more in default (includes all unpaid repayment obligations, late payment interest, penalties, and amounts under instalment arrangement) with Inland Revenue, and
- at least some portion of the amount has been overdue for 12 months or more.
You can use the "Debt check" option through your myIR Secure Online Services account if you’re not sure if this applies to you or not
Are you using the correct IRD number?
Help your application go through smoothly by making sure you put the correct IRD number on your application. If you don't, StudyLink may have trouble processing your application and transferring the details to Inland Revenue, and your loan application will be delayed.
After you've applied
StudyLink will process your application and then transfer your loan account information to Inland Revenue
We administer your loan once you draw down on it. We manage it by:
- collecting your student loan repayments
- applying any interest charges and/or interest write-offs
- giving you information about your rights and responsibilities
- sending you student loan statements twice a year
- providing information and online services to help you manage your student loan.
Back to Guide to student loans