Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

Your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower

See what your rights and responsibilities are when you have a student loan.

Your rights as a borrower

  • You can ask for advice about your student loan legal obligations from an independent source.
  • Your student loan information is not available to anyone else without your consent. You can give permission for someone to get information about your loan by nominating them to act on your behalf.
  • You can access the personal information we hold about you as part of your Inland Revenue records. We may require proof of your identity before we provide you with a copy of this information. If you consider that some of the information we hold about you is incorrect, you can request us to change it. We will assess your request and will either change the relevant information, or explain why we think the information should not be changed. We will make a note of your change request on your records.
  • You can access your student loan information, including transactions and balances.
  • You can request a statement of account at anytime.
  • You have the right to object to any information about your student loan.

Your responsibilities as a borrower

You'll need to:

  • make sure we have your correct name and contact details at all times
  • tell us if you're going overseas for 6 months or more, and the date you leave and return
  • meet all your student loan repayment obligations until your loan is paid off
  • keep a record of your adjusted net income (where applicable).

Updating your contact details

It's important to keep your contact details up to date to ensure you receive the correct information about your student loan.

You'll need to let us know if you change your address, phone numbers, email, bank account, or if you go overseas.

You can change these details quickly and easily through our myIR Secure Online Services:

You can also update your details by contacting us on:

0800 377 778 from within New Zealand, or
+64 4 978 0762 from overseas.

Giving us information

We ask for certain information from you to work out your repayments or entitlements under the Inland Revenue Acts (including the Student Loan Scheme Act 2011).

We may exchange information about you with:

  • some government agencies
  • another country, if we have an information supply agreement with them
  • Statistics New Zealand (for statistical purposes only).

Read the full details of our privacy policy