Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

Student loan objections, disputes and challenges

Find out what to do if you disagree with anything about your student loan.

If you disagree with any of your student loan account details, there are different processes that you may need to follow.

When you need to contact StudyLink

If you object to any StudyLink transactions on your student loan statement, you'll need to contact StudyLink.

When you need to contact Inland Revenue

Please contact us if you disagree with any information about managing your loan.

This may include:

  • your total loan balance - see "Note" below
  • a repayment obligation (assessment)
  • a decision concerning your New Zealand-based or overseas-based borrower status
  • a special deduction rate that has been declined or approved for the wrong rate
  • a repayment deduction exemption that's been declined or cancelled
  • an extra repayment deduction rate notice
  • a decision about significant over-deductions
  • interest or late payment interest charged
  • a decision concerning financial hardship relief
  • a decision not to grant a repayment holiday.

If you have salary or wages income, your current balance won't include all your repayment deductions yet. This is because your employer has until the 20th of the month after making these deductions, to send us the information.

If we can't resolve your issue you may need to follow a formal disputes process.