Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

Tax relief - extreme weather and natural disasters

Tax relief and income assistance is available to people affected by extreme weather (such as storms, floods, and droughts) and natural disasters.

We understand that tax isn't the first thing on your mind but please contact us with any concerns or questions about tax or income levels, so we can make arrangements to help.

We have a range of measures to help depending on your personal circumstances and the particular event.

Income equalisation scheme

Farmers and fishers who have money deposited in this scheme may be able to make an early withdrawal or deposit funds from forced sale of livestock.


The term "farmer" includes anybody carrying on an agricultural business on land in New Zealand.

Find out more about special provisions for farmers and fishers

Find out more about the income equalisation scheme

Back to top

Provisional tax estimates

You may be able to make an estimate or re-estimate of provisional tax if you circumstances have changed due to extreme weather or a natural disaster. We can arrange early refunds if provisional tax has been overpaid.

Back to top

Outstanding tax

We'll consider instalment arrangements for outstanding tax in some circumstances.

Find out more about instalment arrangements

You may apply for a write-off due to serious hardship when you know you won't be able to pay the full amount.


If we grant relief from payment due to hardship and you have losses to carry forward, these losses will be reduced in proportion to the amount written off.

Back to top

Late filing and late payment

Extensions for some income tax returns may be available. Extensions can't be granted for GST and PAYE returns, but any penalties for late filing may be remitted. Under limited circumstances penalties for late payments and use-of-money interest incurred due to the  effects of the weather or natural disaster may also be remitted.

Find out more about late filing penalties

Find out more about late payments penalties

Back to top

Certificate of exemption

If you're currently involved in contract work where schedular payments are to be deducted, eg, shearing or other agricultural contract work, you may be entitled to a certificate of exemption.

Find out more about certificates of exemption

Back to top

Special tax codes

You may be entitled to a special tax code if you're receiving a salary or wage and have a loss to carry forward. A certificate will be issued to you with a reduced tax rate.

Find out more about tax rates and codes

Back to top

Working for Families Tax Credits

Working for Families Tax Credits (WfFTC) entitlements are based on your yearly family income. If your family income changes your entitlement may change. If your yearly family income decreases you may be entitled to increased payments. You may be able to change the frequency or date of your payments.

Find out more about Working for Families Tax Credits


Back to top

Paid parental leave

To be eligible for paid parental leave you'll need to have worked an average of 10 hours per week over six to 12 months before the birth of the child.

Find out the current entitlement rates

Back to top

Child support

If you have trouble making child support payments by due dates you should call us on 0800 221 221. It may be appropriate to re-estimate your income and reduce the assessment.

Find out more about child support

Back to top

Other tax measures that could help

These include the following:

  • Deductions can be made for farm losses when certain improvements are destroyed or irreparably damaged.
  • Livestock or materials donated because of an adverse event may be treated as zero-value rated.
  • Payments or donations from charities aren't taxable or liable for GST.
  • Tax treatment of insurance payments depends on what the payment is compensating, eg insurance for loss of capital assets is non-taxable, but income-replacement insurance may be taxed.
  • Interest on money borrowed to keep the farm going may be deductible.
  • Eligibility for independent earner tax credit

Back to top

Find out more

To find out more about how we can help you phone us on 0800 473 566 between Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.