myIR, payments and more
- Before you can link a client
- How to link and delink clients
- Advantages of linking your clients
- Account types you can't link
Before you can link a client to your client list, you must hold written or electronic authority from them. You'll need to show a copy of your authority to act letter to your account manager when you apply to be a tax agent.
Find out more information about obtaining a letter of authority to act in our Correspondence guidelines (IR1025).
If you need to enquire about an account that isn’t on your client list, eg, a partner or related entity, the individual or owner of the entity needs to nominate you to allow you to make enquiries on their behalf. They can do this by sending us a letter or completing an Elect someone to act on your behalf (IR597) form. If they give the authority to you, either post or fax it to us.
Once you hold an authority to act you'll be able to link clients to your client list. If you no longer act on behalf of a client you'll be able to delink them from your client list.
When you link or delink a client, you'll need to provide:
- your client's name, IRD number and contact details
- the tax type(s) for linking or delinking
- the address for our correspondence to be sent to.
When you delink a client, you can request a taxpack be sent to them. This removes the need for you to send separate advice.
If you want to cease a tax type for a client, request this before you delink them. Otherwise you won't have authority to cease the tax type.
There are four ways you can link or delink a client:
- Client maintenance (all tax types except GST)
- GST section of myIR for GST only:
- To link, in the GST section of myIR go to the Activity Centre tab and select 'Create link to a client' under the Tax Preparer heading.
- To delink, in the GST section of myIR go to the Activity Centre tab and select 'Manage my relationships' under the Tax Preparer heading.
- Our tax agents' self-service line
- Client linking or delinking (IR795) form
For help with linking or delinking clients for GST watch our video How to link and delink a client .
You'll need a myIR Secure Online Services account and be registered for the Look at account information service to use the Client maintenance service.
Once you've logged in to myIR, you can access the Client maintenance service under "Manage clients". The linking or delinking will be processed immediately once the information has been submitted to us.
If you're unable to link a client, please check with them to confirm they've provided the correct information. Alternatively, ask them for a recent letter from us which will confirm their full details.
If initials are used, please leave one space between each letter and enter full stops if required. When linking a partnership, enter the partnership name, not the trade name.
You can link and delink clients by calling our tax agents' self-service line. Your account manager will confirm the 0800 number for you. To use this service you'll also need your tax agent or agency IRD number and PIN number.
Download a copy of the Tax agents' self-service calling aid (IR358) which is designed to help you use the self-service line.
You'll be prompted to enter the linking options that suit you and your client. If you select to link or delink for all tax types, the self-service line will do this for all tax types your client is registered for.
If you're unable to link or delink a client, you'll be given further options to try.
You can also link or delink clients by completing the Client linking or delinking (IR795) form and sending it to us by post or fax.
When sending in an IR795, you also need to include your tax agent or agency details and a signed and dated declaration.
You can send more than one IR795 in the same envelope. Just write your tax agent or agency details on the first form and securely staple the other forms to it. Number each form in the top right-hand corner.
Download the Client linking or delinking (IR795) or order it by calling our tax agents' self-service line.
There are a number of advantages for you and your clients by linking them to your agency, including:
- your client is granted an extension of time for their income tax return (if they qualify)
- it provides you access to information about the client's tax types you're linked to
- when you file your client's returns they're credited towards your filing performance
- you can choose whether mail is sent directly to you or your client
- a client who transfers from another tax agent will automatically have their details transferred to you - they don't need to be delinked from the previous tax agent first.
After you've linked a client, if you'd like mail sent directly to them or if you're receiving mail in individual envelopes rather than in bulk, call our tax agent's self-service line to update these details.
You can't link clients for the liable parent (NCP), receiving carer (CPR) or KiwiSaver voluntary contributions (KSS) account types. Your client needs to nominate you to make enquiries on their behalf by sending us a letter or completing an Elect someone to act on your behalf (IR597) form.
For child support, you'll only have authority to ask about your client's account.