Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

For individuals & families
Te hunga takitahi me ngā whānau
For individuals & families: As a student

Tertiary students

This information will help you if you are studying at a polytechnic, university, college of education, private training institution or wananga.

Receiving income while you're studying

When you receive income that's taxed before you receive it your employer or the person paying you needs to know how much to deduct.


If you're an employee, give your employer a completed Tax code declaration (IR330) form.

Use our tax code decision tree for help choosing the correct tax code.


If you're a contractor receiving schedular payments, give your payer a completed Tax rate notification for contractors (IR330C). Use our estimation tool for help choosing the right tax rate.

If you don't complete an IR330 or IR330C, your employer or payer will deduct tax at the no-notification rate, which is a much higher rate.

Use our PAYE / KiwiSaver deductions calculator to work out how much tax will be deducted from your salary or wages.

When you're employed for only part of the year (eg during the summer break), you could be entitled to a tax refund. To apply you will need to request a personal tax summary.

If you're thinking of applying for a student loan

If you're thinking about applying for a student loan you should contact Studylink. Make sure you're aware of your repayment obligations before you apply.

Go to our student loans section for more information about your obligations when you have a student loan.

If your address, email or phone number changes

If your contact details change let us know so we can keep you up-to-date with information that may affect you. You can update your contact details in your myIR Secure Online Services account.

Find out more

Choose the correct tax code for your student loan repayments
Find out about tax codes