Skip to Content

myIR, payments and more

For non-residents & visitors
Mō ngā tauiwi me ngā manuhiri

Moving to New Zealand

This information may affect you if you are thinking about moving to New Zealand and staying here for the long term. You will need to apply for an IRD number. You may also be eligible to take out a student loan or receive Working for Families Tax Credits (formerly known as family assistance).

Temporary tax exemption on foreign income for new migrants and returning New Zealanders

From 1 April 2006, people becoming tax residents in New Zealand may qualify for a four-year temporary tax exemption on some of their foreign income.