myIR, payments and more
You must register for GST if you carry out a taxable activity and your turnover was $60,000 or more in the last 12 months (or will be $60,000 or more in the next 12 months), or if GST is included in your prices.
You can only charge GST on your sales and income and claim it back on purchases and expenses if you're GST registered.
Watch a video on registering for GST
This video gives you a quick overview of registering for GST, including who should register and what to do when you are registered.
Flash video | 5:07 mins
GST registration process
If you're thinking about registering for GST, follow these steps:
- Check if you need to register for GST
- Get an IRD number (if you don't already have one)
- Choose how you want to claim and return GST
- Decide how often you need to file your GST returns
- Find your business description and code
- Register for GST with myIR Secure Online Services
- Find out what you need to do now that you're registered